At York’s Chocolate Story we strive to provide a warm welcome and a safe, memorable experience for all of our guests. If you have any accessibility requirements, please review the information below and do not hesitate to contact us on 01904 527765 or via our contact us page if you have any questions.
Some answers to frequently asked questions about accessibility at York’s Chocolate Story can be found here:
- Guests in wheelchairs are able to access all areas of York’s Chocolate Story that are used for the Guided Tour. A lift is used to access these floors and there is an accessible toilet available. Other offerings including but not limited to school workshops, private events (masterclasses, birthday parties and venue hire) and seasonal tours are hosted in our on site function room, the Skipper Suite, which is only accessible via a flight of stairs.
- Due to Health and Safety and Fire Evacuation procedures, we can permit a maximum of 2 wheelchairs per floor. If there are 2 wheelchair users, then at least one has to be ambulant, otherwise we are only permitted 1 wheelchair per floor. This equates to one wheelchair every 45 minutes for guests on our Guided Tour. If you require wheelchair access, please speak to our Reservations Team prior to placing a booking. For those with accessibility requirements we recommend booking in advance, as without an advance booking guests may need to wait a considerable time to start a Guided Tour.
- Guests should be aware that there are a number of steps within the experience, these are used for descending only but should you or your party not be able to manage stairs please alert your guide and you may use the lift.
- The majority of guests will stand throughout the tour however there are a number of chairs in each room which are available for those guests who need them. Guests are advised to make the tour guide aware at the start of the tour of any issues with standing.
- Guests who have allergies are warned that the chocolate products which we make in the Attraction are produced in an environment where nuts may be present. Nut free, dairy free and gluten free chocolate is available on request, just ask your guide for details.
- Dogs are not permitted into York’s Chocolate Story, with the exception of assistance dogs. If you wish to visit with an assistance dog please arrange it with us in advance of your visit.
- We offer a tour transcript to anyone who may require it. If you would like this, please let us know when you arrive.
- Children under 4 are welcome free of charge, however at busy periods pushchairs may not be permitted on the tour.